Saturday, June 25, 2011

and the trophy goes to....

i just bought this great, ugly set of trophy loving cups.  
They are in horrible shape, which is why I like them so much!
This type of trophy is called a loving cup.
They are large, two-handled cup, often made of silver, that may take many forms. 
In the past, at weddings, banquets, or meetings, a loving cup might be shared by a number of persons for ceremonial drinking, symbolizing friendship and unity. 
Loving cups are often given as trophies to winners of games or other competitions.
They are very hard to find and when you do find them they are very expensive and not usually in the best shape. (as pictured above! lol!)
Oh well, I'm in love with my ugly loving cups!

5 comments:

  1. What a fabulous set of trophies!! They are amazing!!

    Have a joyful Sunday!!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one "ugly cup lover" to another....great find!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen loving cups in my travels..I guess they would be hard to find. They look "prize winning" to me!~Hugs, Patti

    ReplyDelete