Tuesday, May 3, 2011

there is only one good thing about all this rain....


...that is this bountiful crop of asparagus!!
For those of you who have never had fresh asparagus from the garden - you need to find a friend who has some!  
There is nothing like it in the world!
I told my friends that, and they didn't believe me until they tried it!  Now they are believers!
For that matter any veggie or fruit, fresh from the garden, is so very, very different from anything you get at the grocery.
I am reading a book now called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.
In this book, she explains that if everyone in the United States ate just 1 meal a week (any meal) locally,  it would save this country 1.1 million barrels (thats barrels, not gallons) of fuel a week!  
I don't know about you, but it just cost me $69 to fill my van up today at the pump.  
$4.19 a gallon is absurd!!
So what I don't grow, I am going to seek out locally.  It not only tastes better, it's better for you, and is good for the environment and reduces our dependency on fuel!  Thats a win- win!

But as it stands this week...that's the ONLY good thing about all this rain!
I apologize in advance to those of you who might get stuck parking this Friday and Saturday!  Please remember, we can't control Mother Nature!!
Hope to see you this weekend!!  We will have fun rain or shine!!

3 comments:

  1. I too am sick of the rain!! I really want to come to your show but don't know if its possible!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I am sick to death with all this rain. Ugh. I long for more than the occasion ray of sun. Hello, it's May. Let us have some spring like weather - please!

    I agree. Eating locally is the best. Our farmer's market is just starting to get going again and boy, am I ready.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, if you're sellin' that asparagus, I'll buy some!!!

    ReplyDelete