Monday, April 4, 2011

3 french hens!

People often ask me where I came up with the name French Hen Farm.  
Actually my mom came up with the name.  
I knew I wanted something in the name about my beloved farm or my chickens.
A few years ago , my mom saw a Christmas card that had a picture of a chicken and the words "3 French Hens" and she said "French Hen Farm!"  There are three daughters in my family and my mom thought that was the perfect name, so we became French Hen Farm.
I LOVE my chickens.  My husband HATES my chickens.  I love watching them cluck around the yard.  
They are so much fun to watch on a summer day. They are the pretty, fluffy kind, called Silkies.
I have to agree with my hubby though, they are a lot harder to take care of in the winter.  
You have to make sure they are warm, and dry and their water doesn't freeze, and that they are fed.  
We have to make sure that my son feeds and waters them.  This is one of his chores...  
He is not very good at his chores... so it becomes my husbands chore.  
Hence, the reason my hubby HATES my chickens! 

8 comments:

  1. Silkies are so pretty though. I love it when I drive in the country and there are chickens in the yards of some of the homes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to have chickens, but I have cats and a visiting granddog who I know would chase them. When you say keep them warm, do you mean they have to have heat during the winter?
    Can hardly wait until your sale to see all the pretty things you're making.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Silkies! Beautiful Chicks!LOL! Oh well, better to have something to do, right and oh yeah, it builds character!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your chickens, and LOVE your blog just found it, and am I glad I did. Would love to come to one of your barnsales, but may be a tad to far. Following you now, please come and see me sometimes, I hope you'll like what I do and follow me too;O)
    A xx
    http://anyaadores.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. MY HUSBAND HAS CHICKENS ,HE LOVES THEM !
    WE HAD A PET CHICKEN NAMED BECKY SHE HAD HER OWN PEN (SHE WAS VERY SPOILED) AND WOULD FOLLOW MY HUSBAND AROUND LIKE A PUPPY ,IT WAS SO SWEET ! IT IS FUNNY HOW ENJOYABLE CHICKENS CAN BE !

    HAVE A GREAT DAY !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love chickens too! I have treasured memories of visiting my grandmother and watching her chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, how do you keep them warm in the winter? Curious, because I am hoping to move to the country soon and would love to have some running around my yard. I guess I never thought about keeping them warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopping over from Two Crazy Crafters to wish you a belated birthday. A neighbor of ours here in Kuwait raises very beautiful (and expensive) chickens that he brought in from Thailand. You certainly found so many wonderful things during your recent beach adventure. Have a great rest of the week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete