Sunday, August 8, 2010

the longest yard sale...part one


My husband and I have wanted to visit his dad in Aiken, South Carolina for 3 years.
He asked me if I would like to go this summer and mentioned that we could start our vacation by doing the Longest Yard Sale on the way down.
I have wanted to do the Longest Yard sale for many years now. It starts up in Michigan and winds down through Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama. I had seen TV specials on HGTV about it and talked to several customers that told us how great it was. I was soooo excited!
We left Wednesday night and headed for Covington Kentucky.



We got up early and headed down through Kentucky. Some of the most beautiful scenery we have ever seen. The hills, trees, horses and cattle. Beautiful!!




Northern Kentucky was really great and in the first couple hours we had spent less than $25 and had bought 13 things. I was excited!!

I had read that Kentucky is mostly garage sales and Tennessee is more antiques dealers.
The prices were a lot higher than I had expected.
The number of Yard sale signs is staggering, if only we had the time to hit them all!
We had planned on doing about a hundred miles a day and I thought we for sure would cover that much ground. I was mistaken!
A couple of tips – make sure you have made reservations for hotels along the way – you can usually cancel them if you call before 6 – and what we found out
was others make the same miscalculations along the way and cancel – so sometimes calling as you go you can find one closer to where you might end up – but knowing you have a bed at the end of the day is a very good feeling – even if you have to drive a little out of your way.
Other tips –
Carry LOTS of ones, fives and tens. Mostly ones.
Pack lots of water (it was 100 degrees)
Pack your own food – sometimes food is hard to find
Fresh fruit , veggies are very refreshing on a hot hot day!
Go to bathroom when you find one – even if you don’t have to!
Bathrooms are few and far between!
Stay tuned for more adventures of our travels and finds!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment