Monday, November 7, 2011

I love old autograph books

There is something so sweet and innocent about old autograph books from the 40's and 50's.  
I remember having one and the goal was to fill it up.  
I wonder why they don't have them any more?

 This one was given to a little girl, Georgianna,  from her mother, Mary, for Christmas in 1951.

Why is it when you are younger and you tell your age, that you count the months, the days, and in Georgianna's case, the minutes and seconds!!



We know what she looked like.... "your description.....5 ft tall, brown eyes,  black hair curly, dresses nice and very cute" says Catherine Bogwell.
Here are some of the sweet entries in this one that I found at a recent flea market....
Carolyn Slaytor gives some sound advise...."Love is a funny thing shaped like a toy and if you want your heart broke just give it to a boy"
Or the standard, unoriginal, safe "Roses are red, Violets are blue, candy is sweet and so are you" from Catherine.

Judy Kabealo gives us  more morbid version .... 
'I love you up, I love you down, I love you like a little clown.  When i die bury me deep right in the middle of high street.  
lay my hand on my chest, tell the boys I lie in rest"   A little weird?!
We know she's from Ohio with this one....
"Oranges grow in Florida, they grow in California too,
But it takes a state like Ohio to grow a peach like you!"

We know the price of corsets....
"remember when you are old and out of shape, corsets are $2.98!  So remember me when you grow old by that corset"  from her friend Dorthy who is anticipating that Georgianna is going to get a little out of shape!


And the final entry on the last page reads...
"by hook, by crook, I'll be the last to sign this book"
Sandra


Only Jimmie Lee Willis outdid her and signed on the back cover!


Did any of you have an autograph book when you were younger?

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes I did!!! It was popular even in the early 70's when I had mine. Oh I wish I had kept it. It was my freshman year in high school and filled with many silly poems and well wishes for a long and happy life with "Dave", my then boyfriend. My favorite, "Don't kiss Dave by the garden gate, Love is blind but the neighbors ain't!!! And did I have a long and happy life with Dave. Well in the spring we will celebrate our 32nd anniversary!!! Oh my yes we are still having a blast. And we still kiss by the garden gate!

    ReplyDelete